Thursday, November 17, 2011

Magic Tree House books

We discovered the Magic Tree House book series the other day while browsing Target (one of my favorite spots). I'm always on the lookout for books Boog might be interested in. Most of the time after I buy the book and get it home Boog has no interest in the book(s) I have purchased. Fail! I know at this point some of you are thinking "Hey lady! This is what the library is for.", but I am I truly HORRIBLE library patron. I can tell you over the last 5 years I have paid hundreds of dollars in library fines! Yes I help keep our local libraries in business, but it's cheaper for me to buy the book and keep it in our personal (or digital) library at home. I imagine at some point at least one of my children will read these books that are being cast to the wayside by Boog.

Ok, now back to what my post is about. We were in the book section (because it is right beside the video game section and Boog was going to die if he didnt get plants vs zombies) browsing for a new book that looked cool. This is when Boog spotted the first Magic Tree House book Dinosaurs Before Dark. Well, Boog LOVES dinosaurs and this looked to be right up his alley. It has around 68 pages so I figured it would take us around a week to read it. This is why I only bought book 1 (that and his notorious disliking of books that I have bought in the past). When we got back "home" (still at the inlaws) he asked to read it. At the end of each chapter I asked if he wanted to stop or keep going and he said keep going all the way to the end. We read the entire book I 1 sitting (took us a little over an hour). I was amazed my 5 year old son just SAT STILL for over 1 whole hour! As soon as we finished the book he asked if we could go buy the 2nd book. After breakfast yesterday he said " Mom, can we go to the store and buy the second book about knights?". It was pouring down rain so I grabbed my iPad and lo and behold found the book series in digital. Book #2 "The Knight at Dawn" was in our hands instantly. (while this made me giddy that I didn't need to leave the house with three small kids in the rain Boog didn't feel the same. He kept asking why we couldn't get it in book form like the 1st book.) Again, this book had the same result! We read it in one sitting. After we finished book 2 he asked if we could download book 3. Well sure! Who am I to deny literature to a child;) we read chapter 1 of book 3 "Mummies in the Morning", but after sitting still for 1 1/2 hours he said he needed to go play and we would finish it later. I'm sure we will finish it today.

This series really is awesome and keeps kids interested the whole book. Even 3 yr old Pork Chop sat still during most of the book and listened. Mary Pope Osborne really hit the nail on the head with this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment